Task 2: Articulating good practice (no more than 2 hours) (badge activity)

Malcolm Kirkpatrick
Inventory of Good Practice - Malcolm Kirkpatrick
by Malcolm Kirkpatrick - Wednesday, 6 May 2015, 11:26 PM

Please find enclosed inventory which is signposted by the sections used in the design of tooc15.

Regards

Malcolm

KStaples
Re: Inventory of Good Practice - Malcolm Kirkpatrick
by Katherine Staples - Thursday, 7 May 2015, 4:20 PM

Hi Malcolm

Thank you for your very thorough inventory. I liked how you interspersed the theory throughout the writing, and also that you based the design around the current TOOC format. I think your design section was well thought out. 

In the collaboration section - do you have any other examples of IT tools that could be used collaboratively?

Throughout you mention student dialogue and a teacher social presence. Do you have any specific thoughts about how you would facilitate this?

Katherine

Malcolm Kirkpatrick
by Malcolm Kirkpatrick - Friday, 8 May 2015, 10:58 PM

Hi Katherine,

Thank you for your kind comments.

The other IT tools that we have found useful have been Moodle for polls in webinars which are good for interactivity,Moodle quizzes,Turnitin for self assessment and some of which I have not used but sound promising such as Peer mark,Peer wise,Aropa,Praze,Moodle workshop tools and Spark plus.

Our biggest tool of course is the internet hub that we use called the VLE ( The virtual learning environment} which provides the students with an accessible (24/7) portal for information they require for their courses.This runs on a Moodle platform and allows communication between the students which is allowed under the college protocols.Tutor supervision is carried out during UK business hours but our students are worldwide and 24/7!

The challenges that we are currently addressing are that the online students are demanding quicker feedback to their questions.They say the VLE is too cluncky and slow and is difficult for them to access on their mobile devices.

We run technical courses so our questions are broadly split between those of procedure and where to find things on the VLE  or on the technical side i.e .....I do not understand ....?

We have a student support team who answer the Procedural or VLE type questions but the Tutors answer the technical questions.

We are currently trialling a closed communication system (WAM education) which is like facebook but limited to those authorised by the college.

This communication system is easier for the students to access on their handheld devices and encourages/enables quicker responses by the Tutors.

We recognize that timely tutor/ student feedback is essential and we are also making our VLE accessible to hand held devices later this year by use of cloud technology.

Regards

Malcolm

Hazel
by Hazel Rothera - Thursday, 7 May 2015, 9:02 PM

This is very detailed Malcolm and I think you've done particularly well at incorporating the majority of the key theorists and models. It strikes me that a lot of the good practice touched on here is applicable to F2F learning as well (eg constructive alignment). Which parts do you think are most specific to online learning, or help to address challenges which in online learning might be particularly acute?

Malcolm Kirkpatrick
by Malcolm Kirkpatrick - Friday, 8 May 2015, 11:23 PM

Hi Hazel,

Thank you.

I think the most important would be the design which is the foundation for the course or module.

I believe that the programme should include extensive induction time before  the online course commences. As a college, I am now putting this in place on my Masters Course, to increase the level of engagement. This will occur 2 weeks before the start of the semester and entry onto the course will only be allowed when the induction module has been completed which includes an online plagiarism test which must have a pass mark of over 80%.

The programme must also allow sufficient time for student dialogue and feedback along the lines of the 4 way conversational framework ( Laurillard 1998).

Within the design is of course the Constructive alignment which enables the learner to understand what he has to learn and why.

I think the frame work provided by the Communities of enquiries is probably the other  important framework for enabling the online learning experience to be as effective as F2F, especially with respect to the teacher and social presence models which for me provided the scaffolding to enable this very complex task effectively.

Kind regards

Malcolm