Critique of Scenario B

KStaples
Scenario B Critique
by Katherine Staples - Friday, 24 April 2015, 8:57 PM

As Anderson et al (2001) say ". In that more physical, more observable environment, it is easy to see the function of the teacher as consisting of three major roles: first, as designer of the educational experience, including planning and administering instruction as well as evaluating and certifying competence; second, as facilitator and co-creator of a social environment conducive to active and successful learning; and finally, as a subject matter expert who knows a great deal more than most learners and is thus in a position to ‘scaffold’ learning experiences by providing direct instruction."

The first thing that Neil does is absent himself from the group - presumably trying to allow groups to continue without feeling they are being watched, but actually implying that he doesn't care. As Anderson et al say he needs to be a facilitator, without this, he is not actually enabling the students to learn.

(Strikes me as similar to our tutors being absent for the two week Easter break! ;-) - but that was a break, not semester I know!)

K 0-B - keeps asking questions that no-one answers.

Kieran - seems keen, but doesn't really seem to be addressing the question correctly - and is therefore taking the group in the wrong direction.

Ade - is trying to steer the group back to the correct task unsuccessfully

Bethany is the only one who seems to have done any work.

If there are supposed to be 15 in a group - then lots of the group didn't seem to be participating. Having come up with just the 3 countries - if two were already taken, that didn't leave much scope for anyone else.

If the tutor had been keeping an eye on the group and their discussions, all these things could have been addressed and the group kept on task, all members participating, and questions answered.

Abi Ball
Re: Scenario B Critique
by Abi Ball - Wednesday, 29 April 2015, 2:17 PM

Katherine

I like your Anderson quote and how he breaks the role of the teacher down into three activities but I don’t think that this applies just to face to face teaching.  I would also add that sometimes the role of the tutor in an online environment is more fragmented as it is not unusual to have someone developing the content and then someone different delivering it and a third person facilitating activities.  I’m not suggesting that this was the case in Neil’s class but it is something that tutors need to bear in mind. 

As you say there are an awful lot of people missing from this group work but this could have been due to the poor connection between this formative activity and the summative assessment later on. 

Have you any suggestions of how you would overcome these issues if you were teaching Neil’s class?

Abi

KStaples
by Katherine Staples - Saturday, 2 May 2015, 9:28 AM

Hi Abi

I probably didn't make it clear - but in my head I was applying the Anderson quote to the online environment as well.

I too - would hope that there were a series of people involved with any online course, to design, facilitate and support the online learners.

I think if I were teaching Neil's class - as others have said I would ensure a better link between the group work and the final assessment - maybe even assessing this, as a midway point in the course, to see if the students are understanding and applying what they are learning. Neil's absence with lack of assessment only makes the situation worse. The students who have other, more important, deadlines just absent themselves from the process. Apart from thinking about assessing the groupwork I would also ensure that (if not myself) someone from the team was assigned to each group to check that everyone was engaged, and contact those who weren't, to answer any questions and also to help facilitate discussion in the right direction.

Katherine

Abi Ball
by Abi Ball - Monday, 4 May 2015, 8:59 AM

Thanks for clarifying this further Katherine - it sounds like a good plan.

Abi