Critique of Scenario B

Picture of Michael Mason
Critique of Scenario B
by Michael Mason - Thursday, 23 April 2015, 8:58 PM

Reflecting further on Scenario B and to address concerns identified in my earlier post, I propose the alternative messages and timings as shown on the attached Word document.  

Regards

Mike

Abi Ball
Re: Critique of Scenario B
by Abi Ball - Wednesday, 29 April 2015, 1:43 PM

Mike

Once again this is a really good piece of work.  You've obviously put lot of thought and effort into this activity, well done.  Just by slightly changing the tone of the emails you have turned a negative online group experience into a positive one and it shows how easy it can be to get things wrong even without really trying (in Neil's case not your's I hasten to add!)

You are implying that this formative assessment experience would benefit the students in the summative assessments later on in the module; do you think there is a need to be more explicit about this? If yes (or no) can you explain why?

Abi

Picture of Michael Mason
by Michael Mason - Saturday, 2 May 2015, 1:18 PM

Thanks Abi,

I have been pondering your closing question. Part of me feels it might be best to just leave the explanation as is, i.e. that the exercise will help their later summative assessment because the tutor says as much.

Alternatively, some more explicitly encouraging wording might be appropriate like 'This exercise is your opportunity to explore ideas and approaches to on line group work, so that your summative group work assessment later will be better informed by practice. Feedback will be given on your work here to help develop your approach further’.

I think the latter is preferable, because it is more explicit.  

Regards

Mike

Abi Ball
by Abi Ball - Monday, 4 May 2015, 8:57 AM

Thanks for clarifying this Mike - yes I would agree, rather than using the 'because I say so' argument which might put some students off, the explicit reference to student's development helps them to personalise the learning and hopefully take ownership of it.

Abi