Task 2: Contribute to inventory of online activities (badge activity) (no more than 2 hours)

Picture of Ulrike Fasbender
Kolb's Learning Inventory
by Ulrike Fasbender - Monday, 13 April 2015, 8:43 AM

David Kolb has developed the Experiential Learning Theory suggesting that there are four stages in learning which follow from each other: Concrete Experience (CE) -> Reflection (RO) -> Abstract Conceptualization (AC) -> Active Experimentation (AC) leading in turn to the next CE. Based on this learning cycle Kolb derived four learning styles as follows: diverging, assimilating, converging, and accommodating.

Diverging

People with this learning style...

-        view concrete situations from many different points of view

-        have broad cultural interests and like to gather information

-        are interested in people, tend to be imaginative and emotional

-        like working in groups and appreciate diverse viewpoints, as well as receiving personal feedback

-        CE and RO as dominant learning abilities

Assimilating

-        understand a wide range of information and putting it into concise, logical form

-        less focused on people and more interested in ideas and abstract concepts

-        are effective in information and science careers

-        like lectures, readings, having time to think things through, and exploring analytical models

-        AC and RO as dominant learning abilities

Converging

-        find practical uses for ideas and theories

-        able to problem solve and make decisions by seeking appropriate solutions to questions or problems

-        like simulations, practical applications, lab work, and opportunity to experiment with new ideas

-        AC and AE as dominant learning abilities

Accommodating

-        learn from primarily “hands-on” experience

-        carry out plans and involving themselves in new and challenging experiences

-        act on “gut” feelings rather than on logical analysis

-        like working with others, setting goals, and using different approaches for completing a project

-        CE and AE as dominant learning abilities

Quick online activity

Online, I found a little questionnaire to understand to what extent one prefers a certain learning style, which may be used as a quick online activity

When I learn:

a)      I like to deal with my feelings (CE).

b)      I like to be doing things (AE).

c)      I like to think about ideas (AC).

d)     I like to watch and listen (RO).

I learn best when:

a)      I trust my hunches and feelings (CE).

b)      I work hard to get things done (AE).

c)      I rely on logical thinking (AC).

d)     I listen and watch carefully (RO).

When I am learning:

a)      I have strong feelings & reactions (CE).

b)      I am responsible about things (AE).

c)      I tend to reason things out (AC).

d)     I am quiet and reserved (RO).

I learn by:

a)      feeling (CE).

b)      doing (AE).

c)      thinking (AC).

d)     watching (RO).

When I learn:

a)      I get involved (CE).

b)      I like to be active (AE).

c)      I evaluate things (AC).

d)     I like to observe (RO).

Questionnaire derived from https://docs.google.com/a/brookes.ac.uk/forms/d/1lInWpqWNFW1BlGyQ6c0LZ2hFlXz5-d9qhDtRm0fmG7g/viewform?formkey=dFhuSHhsVHM5QUNIOFpkeS1TM192NFE6MA&hl=en

Abi Ball
Re: Kolb's Learning Inventory
by Abi Ball - Monday, 13 April 2015, 11:28 AM

Ulrike

This is an interesting addition to the inventory of online activities.  I have to say I find Kolb very useful for teaching reflection to students and for personally reflecting on individual learning but as a learning model I sometimes struggle to apply it to learning activities.  Have you ever applied it to your own learning activities?

Learning styles have a mixed reception – some academics find them really useful and others resent the stereo-typing that they can sometimes lead to.  Have you ever planned a lesson or learning activity where you have actively chosen different activities based on the learning styles they support?

Abi

Picture of Ulrike Fasbender
Re: Kolb's Learning Inventory
by Ulrike Fasbender - Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 7:59 AM

Dear Abi,

Thanks for your message. In the future, I would like to choose activities based on different learning styles. I understand the fear of stereotyping. However, to my opinion, recognizing different learning types is just a good way of applying diverse methods to teaching in order to enable different kinds of people to learn or even people to learn in different ways. I would not strictly see it as a diagnostic tool but rather as a means to a comprehensive teaching approach.

Best

Ulrike