Task 2: Contribute to inventory of online activities (badge activity) (no more than 2 hours)

Picture of Judy Sandeman
Learning activity - Presentation skills
by Judy Sandeman - Tuesday, 7 April 2015, 2:36 PM

Hi Everyone,

I hope this is better very late than never!  

The need for this learning activity arose from the difficulties I notices that some international students have with techniques for delivering their oral presentations rather than with the content.

Traditionally I have used these tasks as part of a face to face speaking and listening module in an English for Academic (EAP) course.  However, I wanted to see if I could adapt it to either an online or blended learning activity.

I used the basic AUTC framework to show the activity based on an example from Oliver and Herrington (2002) which had a problem focussed approach using the headings Explore, Describe and Apply for the tasks. Although this was a starting point, I found that I needed to add extra heading tasks to help fulfil the learning outcomes. Some of these ideas came from both the 7Cs and Salmon’s models.

The AUTC framework was also useful because it could accommodate a series of stages (similar to a short course) whereas I felt the JISC model (adapted from Beetham, 2004) was more suitable for shorter activities with less stages.  

However, the framework lacked the necessary links between learners, tasks and outcomes so I felt this had to be added as additional information.  Perhaps I could address this problem by first summarising  the activity on a Beetham style model to present the overall picture and then use the AUTC to show the tasks in more detail. 

I have tried to design this as a collaborative activity as students seem to benefit from peer review. I have also incorporated  aspects of a contructivist approach in the sense that groups compile their checklists from their own observations rather than work to a prescribed list.

Any comments or suggested would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Judy

Abi Ball
Re: Learning activity - Presentation skills
by Abi Ball - Monday, 13 April 2015, 8:57 AM

Judy

Wow, this is a really well considered activity synthesising several different models.  You have really thought about the different stages in each step to make sure the students get plenty of feedback and support.

I like how you have included the Oliver and Herrington headings and combined them with the 7Cs and Salmon models.  Have you considered how you might reduce support if you found you had a more capable group of students as this is very heavy on tutor time?

Abi

Picture of Judy Sandeman
by Judy Sandeman - Monday, 13 April 2015, 4:18 PM

Hi Abi,

Thank you very much for your feedback which has got me thinking more about the role of the tutor.

I think the reason why I chose to include a high level of tutor support is because I was considering that the international students I teach, in general, come from a more teacher-centred education system - it is therefore something they may feel more comfortable with. However, by applying Salmon's 5 step approach for the e-moderator I could gradually reduce the amount of tutor input especially with a more capable (ie. higher level English language skills) students. For example, the brainstorming stage could be on a discussion board and the compilation of the checklist could be peer reviewed (I was thinking that this could be a formative assessment as well).  As the checklist forms the marking criteria, the tutor may not need to duplicate this with a separate marksheet.  The end product could also be a group presentation rather than individual ones. Again this would cut down on tutor support time.

These are just a few considerations at the moment.  Another thing I want to look at is whether this activity might be adaptable as part of a blended programme.  The preparatory work is done online (as it is in self-study time) and then Presentations could be done 'live' in class. Is this approach called the 'flipped classroom'?

There are many things to reflect on with designing these activities - the 'down' side is that they take me a long time to put together!

Judy

Abi Ball
by Abi Ball - Tuesday, 14 April 2015, 7:23 AM

Hi Judy

I totally understand your reasoning I just wanted to get you thinking (which you are obviously doing).  It does get faster but yes in the early stages of developing this type of activity it can all be very time consuming.

Abi