Task 2: Contribute to inventory of online activities (badge activity) (no more than 2 hours)

Picture of Michael Mason
JISC model of learning activity design diagrams
by Michael Mason - Friday, 27 March 2015, 2:52 PM

At our classroom discussion in Purple Group this morning, an issue was raised about different versions of the JISC learning activity design diagrams.

In the required reading JISC document, Effective Practice in a Digital Age, Figure 1 on Page 13 is shown in a diamond shaped form as follows:

One of the other links in the reading list is to different form of the diagram (also produced by JISC), showing a simpler, triangular form. The main difference appears to be that the diamond form has ‘Other people’ as a key aspect of the design, whereas the triangular form only has the three key aspects of learners, intended learning outcomes and learning environment.

‘Other people’, in the diamond version, includes the tutors. Tutors do not appear to feature specifically in the triangular version. We were curious as to why the rationale for two different versions of the diagram.

On reflection, I was wondering whether it has anything to do with the dates they were produced. The ‘triangular’ version dates from 2004 and bits of its content suggest it was produced solely for on line learning activity design. The diamond version dates from 2007 and, judging by the description of the ‘Learning Environment’ at the top of the page, was aimed at both on line and face to face teaching. Maybe in the wisdom existing in 2004, the presence of tutors was considered less of a critical factor and on line learning was only thought appropriate for a limited range of subject matter?

I just remain curious as to the different bases of the diagrams and welcome any thoughts and ideas....

Regards

Mike

Abi Ball
Re: JISC model of learning activity design diagrams
by Abi Ball - Monday, 30 March 2015, 2:41 PM

Mike

One of the things that has become apparent to me (and hopefully to those of you who have tried this activity) is that whilst the models are a good starting point they don’t always fit our needs precisely.   We have all had to adapt them to suit our teaching or combined some of them together to get the best features.  Just like us the authors develop their thinking and as you rightly point out the dates of the two models are 2004 and 2007 respectively.  This implies that Helen Beetham has reframed her thinking in the intervening years and decided that the tutor is an important consideration after all, just as Moule caused Salmon to rethink her five stage model in the week 1 readings.

Having said all of that you also can’t control when external resources are updated – last week JISC updated some of their resources and the Effective Practice in a Digital Age guide was one of them complete with a shiny new Beetham model so perhaps JISC just realised that they needed to update the 2004 model!

Abi  

Picture of Michael Mason
Re: JISC model of learning activity design diagrams
by Michael Mason - Friday, 10 April 2015, 9:02 AM

Hi Abi, thanks for that explanation and perspective on the issue. I thought the reality might be along the lines you describe and guess it is inherent in on line teaching - the whole concept is still quite young and practice still evolving all the time!

I will try and look out the new JISC diagram!

Kind regards

Mike