Task 3: Learning design discussion (no more than 1 hour)

Julia Robinson
Self-Assessment Quizzes
by Julia Robinson - Thursday, 26 March 2015, 4:02 PM

I've found that developing quick quizzes in Xerte, Moodle and Blackboard have been really useful tools to engage students with a concept early on in an online setting. For example, we use an information literacy self-assessment quiz (designed by Moira Bent) to encourage students to rate their competencies before embarking on an online course. They can use the feedback given with their results to direct them to particular sections of the online resource. It also gives them a starting point to reflect on at the end of the course too.

One thing I've learnt through developing online resources is not to allow the technology to lead the design. Don't use a technology just because it exists, but because there's a genuine pedagogic need for it and/or it enhances the learning experience.

Picture of Michael Mason
Re: Self-Assessment Quizzes
by Michael Mason - Thursday, 26 March 2015, 9:35 PM

Thanks for this Julia.

Weekly quizzes are a standard feature in the typical taught week on our real estate courses. We use  Moodle as the quiz platform and ensure automatic feedback text is given. The quizzes seem to be well received and popular, judging by the number of attempts. They also seem to be good for motivation and retaining engagement of students. I think they are a source of reassurance in their formative assessment.

Regards

Mike

Picture of marion waite
by marion waite - Friday, 27 March 2015, 7:17 AM

Hi Both

Thank you very much for sharing your practice about the use of online quizzes. I have also had positive feedback from learners when I have included self-assessment resources in the online courses that I have designed. I think anything that makes an online course more interactive can only be a positive step. It also allows learners to self-assess their development. The only time that perhaps that this does not work so well is when it is the only mode of interaction within an online course. What do you think?

Marion

Julia Robinson
by Julia Robinson - Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 11:03 AM

Hi Marion,

Yes, I think you've got to make room for further interaction when you introduce self-assessment. Once the students recognise a learning or development need out of a quiz they've got to have a way to address it proactively within the course. That's why the Moodle quiz was helpful in its format - it allows you to write a paragraph of feedback dependent on each answer, pointing people to specific starting points in the course. Every quiz should feature input from the tutor after the event - although how you'd manage this if the course was open to all and available to start at different points I'm not sure!

Julia.

Hazel
by Hazel Rothera - Wednesday, 8 April 2015, 5:43 PM

I moved one of my induction quizzes from paper online into Moodle for the first time this academic year, and found the facility to give detailed formative feedback on every answer (whether correct, partially correct, or incorrect) really helpful. It reassured me that even though most of my questions were either multiple-choice, matching, or short answer, even if a student just made a random stab at answering they would hopefully learn something from the feedback they got. 

There was a small error in one question (despite all my proofreading and checking) which got picked up really quickly by more than one student - which made me feel quite positive as it meant at least some of them were giving it their full attention and a lot of thought!

Abi Ball
by Abi Ball - Friday, 27 March 2015, 10:00 AM

Michael

It sounds like the use of quizzes is well established in your department.  You comment that the quizzes are well used by the students; do they get marks for completing the formative quizzes?  I know that some staff here have commented that the students will not engage with activities unless they are assessed; how do you counteract this problem?

Abi

Picture of Michael Mason
by Michael Mason - Sunday, 12 April 2015, 3:33 PM

Hi Abi, sorry for the delay in coming back to you. Still playing a bit of catch up after taking leave over Easter!

Yes, our formative quizzes in the Moodle format are marked and feedback is given, usually to both incorrect and correct answers. I agree, I think this helps students to use them as a benchmark for their own progress and encourages their use. I suspect if we did not give them marks or feedback, their use would probably drop significantly.

Given that feedback comment is hopefully not that time consuming to prepare and the Moodle system seems to deliver a marking system that works and is easy to understand, we do seem to find these resources quite effective.

Regards

Mike

Julia Robinson
by Julia Robinson - Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 9:28 AM

Thanks Mike. Yes, I think they're great for motivation, particularly when they make students question what they thought they knew or understood. When it comes to information literacy quite a few of our postgraduates in particular think they have nothing to learn, then they realise that there are questions in the IL quiz they've never even considered before. Suddenly they have something to learn from us, and that's great for focusing their minds again!

Julia.

Abi Ball
by Abi Ball - Friday, 27 March 2015, 9:53 AM

Hello Julia

I've never used Xerte but certainly Moodle and Blackboard have very comprehensive quiz tools that staff make some use of here at Brookes.  I am currently running a project to try to encourage quiz use from a formative perspective (particularly) as many staff are put off by the sheer volume of options to choose from when they are setting up a quiz.  In this case it is the technology that is putting the staff off despite the genuine pedagogic need.  I like how you are tying the activity to reflection; do you actually ask the students to comment in a reflective journal (or similar) or do you just give them the option to compare their marks before and after the course?

Abi

Julia Robinson
by Julia Robinson - Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 11:09 AM

Hi Abi,

Yes, the students within this community had access to a reflective journal, although it wasn't always well used! We also use ePortfolio at Newcastle University so students can use that to record reflections, discussions with tutors, blogposts and match sessions they've attended to the Graduate Skills Framework. I think the success of ePortfolio differs wildly between subject areas. Some students respond well to it and some feel like they're forced to reflect and can't see the benefit. I was talking to a student about this recently and I think we need to add in some ePortfolio case studies where students can see how useful reflection has been at key points in academic study (leading to dissertation focus, used in job interviews etc.).

Julia.

Picture of Suze Mathews
by Suze Mathews - Friday, 27 March 2015, 3:03 PM

I'm thinking about how best to engage a multicultural group of  Msc Management students, and I wonder if  anyone has any experience of using self-assessment quizzes successfully with such groups? 

Julia Robinson
by Julia Robinson - Tuesday, 31 March 2015, 11:16 AM

Hi Suze,

We've used the IL self-assessment quiz with all kinds of students (and academic staff in some training sessions!). When students are asked to rate themselves against statements like "I recognise the legal and ethical implications of using other people's work" it actually leads on to really informative, productive discussions about what constitutes plagiarism in different countries, how people access and use information in different settings, cultural expectations etc. You can then set out what expectations are on your course so people understand how to get the best marks in your specific institution.

Hope this helps!

Julia.

KStaples
by Katherine Staples - Thursday, 2 April 2015, 3:49 PM

Hi Suze

Yes I too have used online quizzes for multi-national, multi-subject students. These are embedded into modules and the students have to do them and have to pass them with 70% or they fail the entire module irrespective of whether they pass the essay part of it.

I suspect that this is probably the reason that the majority of students not only attempt the quiz, but pass it as well.

The Quiz comes after a Lecture from the Librarians about how to plan and follow through a successful literature search and 60 minutes hands-on practice time at a PC supported by academics and Librarians.

We don't seem to have had problems with these quizzes from multicultural students.

Picture of Judy Sandeman
by Judy Sandeman - Tuesday, 7 April 2015, 2:47 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all this information about Self-Assessment quizzes.  I have not used them yet but having read this I decided that they would be an appropriate task to add into the design of my learning activity on Presentation skills.  Students would self assess their presentation skills at the beginning of a course and then based on the results of this, draw up a check list of how they could improve. I suppose I am thinking of using it as a kind of needs analysis.

Now I just have to write the quiz!

Many thanks for this contribution.

Judy