Task 2: Contribute to inventory of online activities (badge activity) (no more than 2 hours)

Picture of Dan Croft
FutureLearn activity in AUTC framework
by Dan Croft - Monday, 23 March 2015, 12:02 PM

I haven't done much online teaching so I've used an example of one I've done as a student. I've taken a few FutureLearn courses and they followed a fairly standard weekly pattern, which was as follows: link to document.

The design seemed to encourage the running of the course to be as automated a process as possible, which was probably intentional due to the number of students on the courses. Most of the documents to be read had been published elsewhere and were freely available online and the participation of the course leaders was mostly about being involved in the forum discussions. The investment of time looked to have come before the course in the preparation of the videos that bookended the week, which were of high production quality. 

Dan

Picture of Judy Sandeman
Re: FutureLearn activity in AUTC framework
by Judy Sandeman - Monday, 23 March 2015, 12:50 PM

Hi Dan,

I like the simple design of this online course as it shows exactly what the resources are and what the student is expected to do in response to them. The 'support' section I would re-label as 'feedback' as I think my students would be more familiar with that term.

Thanks for sharing it.

Judy

Abi Ball
by Abi Ball - Tuesday, 24 March 2015, 8:43 AM

Well done for starting this activity off Dan.  I wonder if the Futurelearn team also used the AUTC framework to design their activities as the fit is so close?  I appreciate that you are not doing a lot of online teaching at the moment but have you thought about how you might structure your teaching around the same framework? It doesn't have to be a whole course like this one; it could just be a specific activity.  If you have something that you are already thinking of delivering online why not try drafting an AUTC framework for it?

Abi

Picture of marion waite
by marion waite - Wednesday, 25 March 2015, 7:06 PM

Thanks Dan, this is really interesting.  Terry Anderson's work features quite strongly in TOOC. I think what you have described here fits with his description of the cognitive behaviourist model of distance learning. He also describes constructivist and connectivist models. His argument is that a good distance learning experience would feature all three. Where do you think TOOC fits with this?

Marion

Picture of Dan Croft
by Dan Croft - Thursday, 26 March 2015, 9:32 AM

I see what you did there Marion - you baffled me with long words and made me go and do some reading. Cunning!

I looked at this paper which looks like a good summary of Anderson's thoughts. From my understanding TOOC is explicitly cognitive behaviouralist as it has a very structured approach with clearly identified learning objectives. It is connectivist (people learn through social interaction) as online interactions are strongly encouraged, if not mandated by some of the activities. I'm assuming that it is also constructivist (students are encouraged to reflect upon how the exercises are helping them gain understanding) but I can't find any explicit examples of this - but perhaps the course as a whole is constructivist as we are doing an online course to learn about supporting online courses.

Dan

Picture of marion waite
by marion waite - Friday, 27 March 2015, 8:03 AM

Hi Dan

Great I am going to give you another long word "Zone of Proximal Development". This is a term coined by Vygotsky (1978) where a teacher or peer works with a learner in order to help them to  reach their potential level of learning. So well done on following up the cue!

I think you have asked a really good question here about constructivism. As we are trying to follow a Salmon model here I guess week one wasn't geared towards reflection at all (at the first stage of her model). You were one of the first to post on this activity (well done!) but if you look at the posts so far, the AUTC framework activity has encouraged participants to reflect upon current online teaching practice and how it could be further developed. The assignment and the assignment focused activities are explicitly constructivist. So participants are forming their groups at this stage but ultimately we ask them to reflect upon the group processes and in week 6 we revisit the notion of inventories of good practice. Hopefully participants will feel enabled to reflect upon their learning throughout #tooc15 at this stage.

It is probably easier at this stage if you are already teaching online to use the activities as a reflective lens, but well done for using your examples from your own online learning.

Marion