Task 5: Share your ideas (up to 2 hours in lots of small chunks)

KStaples
First impressions and reflections
by Katherine Staples - Saturday, 21 March 2015, 4:54 PM

Having come fresh from completing FSTL15 - I was already familiar with the use of Adobe Connect as a student. Others have already said it, but I found the first webinar to be quite long as I watched the recorded version (I was doing the ironing at the time!). However I do appreciate that there is a need to familiarise everyone with the functions of Adobe Connect so that participation can happen.

I loved physically seeing everyone in their web cams at the end - a nice touch. I think this makes for better communication - knowing who you are working with.

My final comment about the Webinar would be about the sound quality - I could hear Abi and Marion really well - but Liz for some reason is much quieter. A reminder to me as a teacher about ensuring the microphone is where it is supposed to be, and I'm speaking confidently into it.

Linda Bryant - picked up on the issue of learner personality types - as an introvert - it doesn't bother me that I can't speak to people face-to-face.  What did bother me was the ice-breaker. I had a cold dread going down my spine when seeing the word 'ice-breaker'. Having to meet new people and do something silly with them can be really hard for me. However I was relieved to see what was meant in the online environment. I felt I could participate in this, and had courage to join in the 'challenges'. I've enjoyed reading other peoples comments and have the feeling that I know them a little better.

I recall my first experience of teaching online, and how I was fascinated to see that people were logging on from all over the world. As my sessions were a series of two, to which some people opted for one or both, there was no opportunity to create a community. When I run the session another time it might be worth me creating some kind of 5 minute max easy online ice-breaker, just before the session gets underway. 

I have only run the two online sessions, so there is plenty of scope for improvement when I run the sessions again, and I am hoping that this course will give me some ideas about this.

Finally - I've been aware of Twitter for years, but have chosen never to have an account. This course has forced me to overcome this barrier. I'm enjoying learning about Twitter and how it works - I've already discovered that one of the people I chose to follow is a prolific tweeter, and therefore I shall be unfollowing them, as I don't have the time to read everything that they write. I think there is a balance about keeping your feed live and relevant, but not overloading people with too much information (too many tweets!)

Hazel
Re: First impressions and reflections
by Hazel Rothera - Saturday, 21 March 2015, 9:10 PM

That's an interesting comment about the recorded version of the webinar seeming long, Katherine. I've watched back quite a few recordings of Library webinars now and often found that they really seemed to drag by comparison with live ones - perhaps just because when it's live we're thinking what we might say ourselves, or posting a question in Chat, whereas after the event the pauses are just... pauses.

I too found the different sound levels from different people an issue - I can see it would be very difficult to prevent, but it did mean I kept diving to twiddle the volume slider on my headphones!

Re Twitter - there's a very useful online course on making good professional use of Twitter for librarians (though useful for any academic professionals tbh!) - Camdot's Ten Days of Twitter, curated by Meg Westbury from the University of Cambridge.

Picture of marion waite
Re: First impressions and reflections
by marion waite - Sunday, 22 March 2015, 8:09 PM

Thank you both for an interesting discussion from the librarian perspective. Thank you also for the feedback on presenter volume levels we will take that on board for the next time. I think Katherine it would be challenging to feel a sense of community by teaching occasional synchronous sessions. I think possibly a combination of synchronous and asynchronous with a similar group of participants might be needed for that. Perhaps what you are saying about the ice-breaker activity illustrates a point that learners need space to think and reflect prior to participation. Just some thoughts really. Thanks for the Twitter tip, Hazel.

Marion